We find today that Michelle Obama’s “lady-in-waiting” budget is double that of Laura Bush.
As notedby C. Edmund Wright Michelle Obama requires far more staff than previous first ladies. A few examples of salaries for her bloated staff:
- $172,2000 – Sher, Susan (CHIEF OF STAFF)
- $140,000 – Frye, Jocelyn C. (DEPUTY ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
- $113,000 – Rogers, Desiree G. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL SECRETARY)
- $102,000 – Johnston, Camille Y. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
- Winter, Melissa E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)
- $90,000 – Medina, David S. (DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)
- $84,000 – Lelyveld, Catherine M. (DIRECTOR AND PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)
- $75,000 – Starkey, Frances M. (DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND ADVANCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)
- $70,000 – Sanders, Trooper (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
- $65,000 – Burnough, Erinn J. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)
- Reinstein, Joseph B. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)
- $62,000 – Goodman, Jennifer R. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND EVENTS COORDINATOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)
….But given President Barack Obama’s (D) very public scolding to companies who received bailout money not to host lavish business conventions and such, the Congressional grilling of auto executives who flew to Washington on private planes instead of commercial or even using their own cars and similar public put downs, this lavish retinue of numerous (mostly) ladies in waiting reeks of a certain je ne sais quoi, let them eat cake mentality.
…..Perhaps Ms. Obama’s staff should follow the example set by her husband’s staff and blame–or in this instance, learn–everything on the situation she inherited. As Ralph Alter pointed out yesterday
For purposes of comparison, please consult Dan Froomkin’s 2004 White House Staff List-By Salary published in the Washington Poston June 13, 2004. Tallying Laura Bush’s staff from the list provided by Froomkin totals $561,325 in annual salaries for the former First Lady’s staff.
In other words, even accounting for inflation, Laura Bush’s expenses were less than half of Ms. Obama’s–and this was in those flush times derided by Obama fans.
Oh, and Michele O also sported a $6000 purse in Russia. (Of course, the Obama’s deny it as if the design firm wouldn’t know their own handbag)
Of course, the same Michelle Obama wore $900 sneakers to a Washington Food Bank!
And back in May, Michelle Obama had this to say to recent graduates at UC Merced:
“Remember that you are blessed. Remember that in exchange for those blessings, you must give something back. You must reach back and pull someone up. You must bend down and let someone else stand on your shoulders so that they can see a brighter future.”
Of course, it is all double standard, you see. As Michelle Malkin pointed out back then, the Obamas gave LESS THAN 1% of their 2000-2004 income to charity:
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and his wife Michelle gave $10,772 of the $1.2 million they earned from 2000 through 2004 to charities, or less than 1 percent, according to tax returns for those years releasedtoday by his campaign…The Obamas made their church, Trinity United Church of Christ, one of the biggest beneficiaries of their philanthropy, donating $27,500.
Of course, you had to know the biggest donation was set aside for the racist church and preacher where the Obama’s attended, but never heard a word that was said there by Jeremiah Wright.
And many a Lefty will excuse the Obama’s contributions early in this decade by saying “they were not wealthy people”….well, pardon me, but I know MANY MANY people, the same people Obama says must now cut back, who barely make the national average in salary and they give 10% of their income to their church, among other contributions…..
What happened to the recession and all of that cutting back WE are ALL supposed to do? And what of the condescension Barack Obama has shown towards executive salaries and corporate jet travel?
At the very least, the executives are doing it with money that consumers have chosen to give to those companies by buying/using their products….the Obama’s just choose to confiscate income from us all and our future children/grandchildren so they can act like royalty…..all while in the so-called “worst recession since the Great Depression”….(Obama’s words)
From the Obama’s its “Just words…just words”…….. And those words are meant for us peasants, not the royalty sitting in the White House.
Filed under: Barack HUSSEIN Obama, Economy, Liberalism, Morality/Character, Nutroots, Politics, Progressives Ain't, Racism, Socialism, Welfare | Tagged: $6000 purse, $900 sneakers, Barack Obama, cut back, Great Depression, Jeremiah Wright, just words, Michelle Obama, recession, Russia, Washington food bank |