I just finished watching the VP debate.
I thought Palin was strong coming out, not as strong in the middle and ended strong. I think Biden did just the opposite.
I think Palin won the debate….there is really not anything Biden said (except his exaggerations of Cheney and his error on the Constitution) that anyone will remember. Palin on the other hand offered some great words that teachers will remember, all of American can relate to (“Never again”) and nicely tangle Biden in his Iraq War flip-flops.
(I will say that I think Biden was able to attack a little better on some points, but that may not have been as effective for Palin to do at this point in the campaign and in this venue.)
Obviously Palin had pressure to show her ablity and experience since the MSM and Obama campaign have unleashed attack after attack after attack on her. I definitely believe she achieved that in spades.
I really thought Palin did great and there should be no doubts about her ability to lead and grow. She missed some key opportunities to really come back at Biden on some of his assumptions about McCain’s votes, the war, and regulation of Wall Street. However, since she was really thrust into a position of proving herself and staying on topic, I can understand why did not do that.
I think Palin’s appeal to regular, everyday people resonated tonight. She is exceptionally good at talking directly to people. She also is deliberate in her language….few words or sentences are misspoken.
She has all of the charisma of Obama, yet connects better with her audience and average Americans. I think Mr. Teleprompter America has met his match on speaking….and she connects without a teleprompter!
A couple of the more subtle, but profound, things she was able to do is talk about her love of the country and holding a view of American exceptionalism. It came through in her words and sincerity. That is definitely something that does not appear anywhere in the Obama campaign! She also has knack for presenting a blow to the opponent and do it with a smile…very effective.
I thought Biden did well on bashing McCain and Bush, albeit some of his facts were way off. Even though Biden obviously has 36 years of Senate debate experience and lots of facts and figures to throw out, I thought he sounded way to Washingtonian in his presentation. Therefore he lost my attention several times. I have to say, as a person, there is something about Biden that I like. He is just a likable guy…….not factual and sometimes very human and definitely liberal….but a nice guy…”God love him”.
Speaking of Biden, the McCain camp has certainly wasted no time in correcting the numerous errors in facts that Biden put out there tonight. From Michelle Malkin.com:
1. TAX VOTE: Biden said McCain voted “the exact same way” as Obama to increase taxes on Americans earning just $42,000, but McCain DID NOT VOTE THAT WAY.
2. AHMEDINIJAD MEETING: Joe Biden lied when he said that Barack Obama never said that he would sit down unconditionally with Mahmoud Ahmedinijad of Iran. Barack Obama did say specifically, and Joe Biden attacked him for it.
3. OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING: Biden said, “Drill we must.” But Biden has opposed offshore drilling and even compared offshore drilling to “raping” the Outer Continental Shelf.”
4. TROOP FUNDING: Joe Biden lied when he indicated that John McCain and Barack Obama voted the same way against funding the troops in the field. John McCain opposed a bill that included a timeline, that the President of the United States had already said he would veto regardless of it’s passage.
5. OPPOSING CLEAN COAL: Biden says he’s always been for clean coal, but he just told a voter that he is against clean coal and any new coal plants in America and has a record of voting against clean coal and coal in the U.S. Senate.
6. ALERNATIVE ENERGY VOTES: According to FactCheck.org, Biden is exaggerating and overstating John McCain’s record voting for alternative energy when he says he voted against it 23 times.
7. HEALTH INSURANCE: Biden falsely said McCain will raise taxes on people’s health insurance coverage — they get a tax credit to offset any tax hike. Independent fact checkers have confirmed this attack is false
8. OIL TAXES: Biden falsely said Palin supported a windfall profits tax in Alaska — she reformed the state tax and revenue system, it’s not a windfall profits tax.
9. AFGHANISTAN / GEN. MCKIERNAN COMMENTS: Biden said that top military commander in Iraq said the principles of the surge could not be applied to Afghanistan, but the commander of NATO’s International Security Assistance Force Gen. David D. McKiernan said that there were principles of the surge strategy, including working with tribes, that could be applied in Afghanistan.
10. REGULATION: Biden falsely said McCain weakened regulation — he actually called for more regulation on Fannie and Freddie.
11. IRAQ: When Joe Biden lied when he said that John McCain was “dead wrong on Iraq”, because Joe Biden shared the same vote to authorize the war and differed on the surge strategy where they John McCain has been proven right.
12. TAX INCREASES: Biden said Americans earning less than $250,000 wouldn’t see higher taxes, but the Obama-Biden tax plan would raise taxes on individuals making $200,000 or more.
13. BAILOUT: Biden said the economic rescue legislation matches the four principles that Obama laid out, but in reality it doesn’t meet two of the four principles that Obama outlined on Sept. 19, which were that it include an emergency economic stimulus package, and that it be part of “part of a globally coordinated effort with our partners in the G-20.”
14. REAGAN TAX RATES: Biden is wrong in saying that under Obama, Americans won’t pay any more in taxes then they did under Reagan.
Filed under: Abortion, Barack HUSSEIN Obama, Inspiration, John McCain, Media Bias, Morality/Character, Nutroots, Politics, Progressives Ain't, Sarah Palin | Tagged: 2008 Election, Barack Obama, joe biden, John McCain, Politics, Sarah Palin, VP Debate |